top of page

UPDATE: Season Start Delayed

From the NWSF Association …..

The NWSF Board has met to discuss the latest notice from FFA which postpones all football activities until 14 April.

Like everyone involved in football, we are very disappointed that we can’t get players on the park just yet, but every sport has to play their part in minimising the spread of the virus and “flattening the curve”.

The good news is that we can still play a FULL season, subject to the details below.

The Board has made the following decisions:

1. The NWSF competitions will be scheduled to commence on the weekend of 2 May. This will enable teams to fit in some training sessions and trial matches on the presumption that football activities can resume on 14 April, and also takes into account the Anzac Day weekend on 25 April. This commencement date will enable a full Premiership season for all competitions, although will mean a slight reduction in the minis competition to 16 rounds, and may require an adjustment to the finals schedule, especially if we have any wet weather cancellations.

2. As a result, NWSF has cancelled all field bookings with Ryde and Hornsby Councils until 14 April. This includes training and weekends. Clubs that book fields directly with Councils or other hirers for training or match days should do likewise so the Association and clubs are not incurring unnecessary expense.

3. Whilst FFA and FNSW have not finalised their policy regarding their charges, the Association will not be charging clubs the 25% of the competition fee for any de-registered players up to the start of the season. Clubs should confirm their own policy in regards to refunds but we encourage you to explain to players that a full season is still possible and not to make any decisions as yet.

4. We do not know as yet what the State Government policy will be in regards to Active Kids Vouchers. We do know that Clubs are notpermitted to refund the AKV to parents – you can only transfer the AKV amount to another club or another sport if required.

5. The Board is committed to running football competitions this year. This means that if there are further delays to the season commencement date, there will be contingency plans in place to run competitions in whatever time we have available.

6. The Board will consider the 2020 competition fees that will apply, subject to the format of the season that we can run. Therefore, if we commence on 2 May, the normal fees will be charged. We will obviously hold off on sending invoices for the time being.

We will also be communicating the decision regarding the commencement date to all registered and pending participants in Play Football and we will be sending regular updates to them. As we have already seen, the situation is changing every day so the Board will continue to monitor developments and update everyone accordingly.

Also note the NWSF office staff are working remotely for the time being and can respond to emails as per normal.

We hope you, your family and your club members stay healthy.


Mark Lockie



T +61 2 9887 2116 | E| W Christie Park, Christie Rd, Macquarie Park, 2113 | PO Box 1308 Macquarie Centre NSW 2113

bottom of page